Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Bind My Wandering Heart to Thee


Over this past year my focus has been to walk with God. I wanted Him to be in the center of my life, to be constant- rather than in the past when He was in and out and in and out. I wanted to know Him, who He was and what He was about. And wow did He show me. He has taught me more about Himself than I ever thought He would. 

As I have been looking back on these past 11 months or so, I've definitely had times when I wasn't walking with God, I took detours. There were times when I wasn't praying or spending time with Him at all, times when I indulged in my sin rather than taking it to Him. Those were hard. But they were real. I kept running back to Him when my world would inevitably fall apart in His absence. One of the main things He has taught me about walking with Him is that I am actually walking in grace and love. He has taught me a lot about grace, as I'm sure you can see from my other posts. It's been a huge theme of the year. Through this "wandering" He has also showed me that even when we are faithless, He is faithful. How gracious. 

He has also taught me a lot about my heart and its desires. I have seen my heart get lost and wander from its home with God. It has clung onto people and things and ideas and dreams that aren't holy or worthy or good. It has deceived me, it has gotten bruised and neglected. I didn't understand. I want to love God, I want to be with Him, my heart knows this- HE is my heart's desire. But it still gets lost. The Bible is full of scripture that talks about the heart. It is blinded, it is hard, and it is deceptive above all. 

Our hearts can't be trusted, just like our feelings and our emotions can't be trusted. If you are following God, or even if you aren't, you have probably noticed that there is something off. Our hearts lead us into places that we were never meant to go. Our hearts have dark corners and stored up secrets. But the beauty of God's grace is that He gives us a chance to escape this darkness and He brings us into His light. He gives us a choice as to whether we want to follow our dark, deceptive heart or live in His full, joyous light. And as the song goes, we are prone to wander and prone to leave the God we love. He offers us hope and life and righteousness in spite of our wandering and leaving. And it's beautiful.

So all this to say, I have been wanting a certain tattoo for over a year now and yesterday I decided that I was tired of waiting and wanting, so I went and got it. I don't want my heart to wander when it already has a perfect home. My hope and joy is in His faithfulness to take my heart, to take my burdens and my worries, because I can't carry them on my own. He is my song and my salvation. My citizenship isn't here, but it is in heaven, so that is where I want my heart to be.



O to grace how great a debtor
Daily I'm constrained to be!
Let thy goodness, like a fetter,
Bind my wandering heart to Thee.
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it;
Prone to leave the God I love;
Here's my heart, O take and seal it,
Seal it for thy courts above. 





Colossians 2:6-7
Therefor, as you received Christ Jesus the Lord, walk in Him, rooted and built up in Him and established in the faith, just as you were taught, abounding in thanksgiving. 

2 Timothy 2:13
If we are faithless, He remains faithful- for He cannot deny himself.

1 Peter 2:9
But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for His own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of Him who called you out of darkness and into His marvelous light.

Psalm 18:28
You, Lord keep my lamp burning; my God turns my darkness into light. 

2 Corinthians 4:4
In their case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, to keep them from seeing the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is in image of God. 

Ezekiel 11:19
I will give them an undivided heart and put a new spirit in them; I will remove from them their hear of stone and give them a heart of flesh. 

Jeremiah 17:9
The heart is deceitful above all things and desperately sick; who can understand it? 

Romans 15:13
May the God of hope fill you up with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope. 

John 10:10
The thief has come only to kill, steal, and destroy, but I have come that they may have life and have it to the full. 

Ephesians 2:24
And put on the new self, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness.

Philippians 3:30 
But our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we wait a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ. 

No comments:

Post a Comment